On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 06:01:32PM +0100, Pierre Labastie wrote:
> As a test of the new jhalfs/BLFS tools, I have tried
> to compile 'accountservice' (the first package in the
> book). The tool generated the following build order:
> dbus libffi python2 pcre glib2 dbus-glib perl-xml-parser
> intltool pkgconfig  polkit accountsservice.
>
> Knowing that libxml2 and expat were already installed,
> you can check that it accounts for all required and
> recommended dependencies.
>
> Everything builds OK until dbus-glib, where configure stops
> with:
> [...]
> checking for XML_ParserCreate_MM in -lexpat... yes
> checking expat.h usability... yes
> checking expat.h presence... yes
> checking for expat.h... yes
> checking for pkg-config... no
> checking for DBUS... no
> configure: error: in `/sources/dbus-glib/dbus-glib-0.98':
> configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too
> old.  Make sure it
> is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
> path to pkg-config.

 Why would you build accountsservice if you weren't building gnome ?
In reality, trying to build gnome without xorg is a fool's errand,
and I'm reasonably sure that xorg needs pkg-config.  Similarly,
gobject-introspection doesn't make sense unless you are going to
build gnome.

 But, I take your point that pkg-config ought to be listed in
*this* case.  I thought we'd closed most of the alternative "weird
and wonderful" paths through the book where people think they can
build things without pkg-config, but I'm sure that there are still
others.  So, thanks for finding this.

 I'll fix this up somewhen, unless somebody else beats me to it.  I
don't see the patch, and in all honesty we don't need one for such
a straightforward change.

ĸen