Hi all,

My apologies right here at the beginning if this subject has been discussed
and I missed the discussion. I am curious about BLFS' view on the obsolete
and deprecated package ConsoleKit. ConsoleKit is listed as a dependency for
several BLFS packages, and recommended for at least one package. The issue
is the package is unmaintained.

We (BLFS) list ConsoleKit in the "Security" section of the book. It would
seem to me that packages in the "Security" section would have a solid base
behind it, and the package would be looked at closely. However, because
ConsoleKit is now abandoned, deprecated, and apparently has been replaced
by the systemd package (which BLFS doesn't support), it seems that this
would be a security hole.

I am not saying that the current BLFS situation with ConsoleKit is a security
hole, I am just saying that it could turn in to one. I would like a discussion
about the future of our direction toward the ConsoleKit deprecation, and the
apparent move by most other distribution's move toward systemd.

If anyone is interested in discussion, I encourage your participation.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.23] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
20:35:00 up 44 days, 6:34, 1 user, load average: 0.78, 0.26, 0.08