Ragnar Thomsen wrote:
On Sunday 24 August 2014 16:00:47 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
  From what I can tell, nothing in BLFS uses phonon-backend-gstreamer
directly except phonon itself.  If we dropped it, would there be any
practical impact?

Is there something that someone might want that's not available in the
vlc backend?

Not really. The vlc-backend provides everything the gstreamer-backend does.
The vlc-backend is also the preferred now, meaning if both are installed
phonon will use vlc. AFAIK gstreamer-backend is just another option for ppl
who prefer gstreamer for whatever reason...

We can always re-add the gstreamer backend to blfs once it supports
gstreamer-1.x...

Looking at my logs, it installs 1 .desktop file, 5 .png files, 1 .svgz
file and the .so plugin.

These backends are only used by phonon. All apps link to phonon and not to the
backend libraries...

OK, I'll comment out gstreamer-0 and phonon-backend-gstreamer for now. We can move to the archive later.

  -- Bruce