Moving to -dev

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: Qt4/Webkit
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 21:13:13 -0500
From: Douglas R. Reno <renodr2...@gmail.com>
To: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>

On May 3, 2016 12:35 PM, "Bruce Dubbs" <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

Douglas R. Reno wrote:

Hi Bruce,

I am going to try a development version of GCC/Binutils/Glibc on my dev
system and see if I can get them to compile properly. If I can get it to
compile, I will look into cherrypicking the fix from whichever package
fixes it. Otherwise, if I still can't get it to work, I am going to try
LLVM/Clang, seeing as Armin got Qt5 to compile with it.

I honestly believe that our GCC6 implementation was a little bit too
fast.
But thats just my opinion. Changing that C++ implementation to C++11 as
the
default, as they did in GCC6, could cause more issues.

Yes, major changes cause issues.  That's why we have a -dev version of
the book.  If we had an imminent release coming soon, we probably would not
include it, but as it is, we have four months to clear things up.

  -- Bruce

It seems that the best option is to use LLVM/Clang to compile it. That
requires the least changes and is the least invasive (I plan to make them
tomorrow night. I probably shouldn't have worked on this tonight, but my
schools website is still unreachable, and as a result, no study materials
are available at the moment).

For Qt-4.8.7:

Pass CC=clang CXX=clang++ to the configure command

For qtwebkit:

Pass CC=clang CXX=clang++ to the build command.

Some statistics:

At -j1 (Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz, 4G DDR3 RAM), the SBU value was 41
SBUs, taking approximately 4816.1 seconds.

At -j4 (Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz, 32G DDR3 RAM), the SBU value was 25
SBUs, taking approximately 2918.2 seconds (Note: I just copied the build on
my workstation onto my new development system last night, and I haven't
remeasured yet. Their hardware specs are pretty much the same though).

I will say that having two development systems makes working on multiple
projects much easier. I can now work on GNOME and KDE simultaneously, for
example. The main reason for the 2nd one is that my workstation's hardware
setup and the development system's hardware setup are almost exactly the
same, so if something happens to my workstation, that box can take over for
the time being (and, of course, I can use one to troubleshoot issues with
the other).

Douglas R. Reno