On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:56:24PM +0000, Peng HG wrote:
> Trying to extract the Popt-1.16 tarball downloaded from the http link fails
> with the message
>
> gzip:stdin: not in gzip format
> tar: Child returned status 1
>
> The tarball from the ftp link is OK though.

Probably a browser error.  I think chromium did that (decompressing
tar.gz) at one time.  I've just used wget on the http link.  I got
the expected md5sum and file reported

popt-1.16.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, last modified: Tue May  4
20:56:51 2010, max compression, from Unix

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods