> From: "Douglas R. Reno" <ren...@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 00:56:27 -0600
> Subject: Re: [blfs-dev] Sendmail page - Think we are missing a command
>
> Pierre Labastie wrote:
> > On 01/12/2016 04:38, Douglas R. Reno wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Upon trying to run the newaliases command in the Configuration
> >> Information page, I'll get the following error:
> >>
> >> newaliases: cannot open /etc/mail/aliases: Group writable file
> >>
> >> For context, these are the commands that I ran (similar to the book):
> >>
> >> renodr [ /sources ]$ su
> >> Password:
> >> root [ /sources ]# echo $(hostname) > /etc/mail/local-host-names
> >> root [ /sources ]# cat > /etc/mail/aliases << "EOF"

> >> root [ /sources ]# newaliases
> >> newaliases: cannot open /etc/mail/aliases: Group writable file
> >> root [ /sources ]#
> >>
> >> In order to fix this, I had to run something similar to:
> >>
> >> root [ /sources ]# chmod -v 644 /etc/mail/aliases
> >> mode of '/etc/mail/aliases' changed from 0664 (rw-rw-r--) to 0644
> >> (rw-r--r--)
> >> root [ /sources ]# newaliases
> >> /etc/mail/aliases: 2 aliases, longest 4 bytes, 31 bytes total
> >>
> >> I propose adding the "chmod -v 644 /etc/mail/aliases" command to the
> >> book.

Normally you do want such files 0644, and the corresp generated .db files
as 0640 : but the root of the problem is why the 0664 appeared at all ...

> >> I'd like to ask for comments / suggestions before I put it in there
> >> myself.
> >>
> > I guess it is an "umask" problem.

 ...  +1

> >  Normally, if your bash startup files
> > are set as in the book, umask should be 022 when you are root, and no
> > additional instruction should be necessary. OTOH, maybe su does not
> > run the bash startup files...
> >
> As far as I can see after tracing it for a little bit, I can't find a
> line in /root/.bashrc, /etc/profile, /etc/bashrc, or /root/.bash_profile
> that accomplishes that. However, we do execute it in
> /etc/profile.d/umask.sh.
>

> When I am "su"ed to root, my umask is 0022. If I use my normal user, my
> umask is 0002.
>
> root [ ~ ]# umask
> 0022
>
> renodr [ /sources ]$ umask
> 0002

And if you do 'su -' ?

> I just verified that all of my bash startup files are identical to the
> ones in the book.

The wider picture here is that one should use 'install ...' with explicit
permissions, ownership, group, full src-path, full tgt-path, &c - thus
reducing or eliminating implicit intentions; and then verify that what
was intended, has actually been put in place.

akh