I took a look at firefox-56.0beta a few days ago, and it needs a
newer rustc.  Only need one version newer, but I thought I'd try the
current rust-1.19.0 for future-proofing, particularly since Arch
apparently build it with cargo included (but they don't bootstrap
it, so I assume they are using the immediately previous rust, and
probably current cargo).

FWIW, trying to build a newer rust looks to be as painful as trying
to build it the first time.  At this rate I'll probably give up
trying to build firefox from source, and when librsvg needs rust
I'll probably give up the whole game.

FWIW, I can't get past this early error:

extracting
/tmp/rust-1.19.0/build/cache/2017-06-08/cargo-0.19.0-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.tar.gz
error: failed to read
`/tmp/rust-1.19.0/src/tools/rust-installer/Cargo.toml`

Caused by:
  No such file or directory (os error 2)
failed to run:
/tmp/rust-1.19.0/build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/stage0/bin/cargo
build --manifest-path /tmp/rust-1.19.0/src/bootstrap/Cargo.toml
Build completed unsuccessfully in 0:00:19
make: *** [Makefile:24: all] Error 1

which sounds suspiciously like
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/40284 - but that was fixed
in March, so I assume 1.19.0 ought to be ok.

There is  a Cargo.toml, but if I symlink to that it blows up:

error: multiple workspace roots found in the same workspace:
  /tmp/rust-1.19.0/src/tools/cargo
  /tmp/rust-1.19.0/src

Similarly, with fresh source, removing src/tools/cargo doesn't
prevent that error.

At the moment I'm not inclined to look at bootstrapping this pile of
#$*£ any more.  My first attempts got similar errors when (old)
rustc and cargo were available.

If it's worth anything, I'm using rust-installer-master.zip from
github (maybe only needed if trying to install both rust and cargo
in one go, dunno) and the following src/bootstrap/config.toml:
 - - -
[build]
# If you specify paths to rustc and cargo here, they get used
# but that is no use for bootstraping it in BLFS

# install Rust and Cargo together - it's disabled by default
#extended = true
# Verbosity level: 0 == not verbose, 1 == verbose, 2 == very verbose
verbose = 2             # until I get it to build

[install]
prefix = "/usr"

[rust]
channel = "stable"

[target.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] # similar for i686, I suppose
llvm-config = "/opt/llvm3/bin/llvm-config"
 - - -

ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment