On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 05:24:10PM +0100, Pierre Labastie wrote:
> We usually don't care much about the extracted directory name. I can give a
> dozen of examples where the directory name does not match the package name,
> and we do not say anything...

I suspect that many *new* readers of BLFS will assume that any
package called foo-59.0 will untar to a directory called foo-59.0/
and will ask on the lists if it untars to something different.

> So just provide the complete url, and make a note that if using wget, it may
> be convenient to use the -O option to get a readable file name (but
> personally, I never do that). And don't write about the extracted directory...
> >
> > In either case, the book will need to note that the tarball creates
> > a directory called mozilla-release-c61f5f5ead... (and I'm inclined
> > to use dots rather than write out all 40 hex digits, except in the
> > link).
> >
> If my proposition is retained, that would not be a question anymore :)
> Pierre

I'll think about rewording it (haven't started the timed 4-core
build yet, so time to think about it).  I'm not convinced about this
approach, but maybe it is worth trying.  I might keep some of what
I've already started to prepare, but commented out until 60 is
released - to see if it does cause mailing list comments.

Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.
                                     - Unseen Academicals