On 04/15/2018 01:16 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 11:27:22AM +0200, Pierre Labastie wrote:

Done, and it built. Ken, don't you think the instructions should wipe out
/sources/RUST after installing?

Pierre

We don't explicitly remove the build directories, AFAICS.

This is a first (hopefully the only) DESTDIR in the book and I'm
reluctant to blow it away before we know if there are possible
problems with it (unexpectedly, the problems seem to be in the
builds).

Actually, I like the idea of having an example DESTDIR install in the book.

I was originally going to use a bit of bash to place the directory
at ../ (because I know it's not just me who doesn't build in
sources), until I realised that not _knowing_ the absolute directory
may give problems depending on how people become root.

I suppose we could do something like ${PWD}/DESTDIR to install it
within the build tree, and then the real install would be something
like:

chown -R root:root DESTDIR
cp -a DESTDIR/* *

and it would all get blown away when the source was removed.  But
maybe I'm missing something.

Perhaps a note to say to replace 'sources' with the user's choice of directory would be appropriate.

I tend to build in /tmp (which I have mounted as a separate partition). Personally I do:

DIR=`pwd`

BUILDDIR=/tmp/<package>
DEST=$BUILDDIR/install

sudo rm -rf $BUILDDIR
mkdir  $BUILDDIR
cd     $BUILDDIR

tar -xf $DIR/$PROGRAM.tar.?z*
cd $PROGRAM
DESTDIR="$DEST" <install program>

But there are many ways to select a DESTDIR. The example used now is fine, but there should be something to tell the users that there is flexibility in that choice.

  -- Bruce

Note. The reason I build in /tmp is because I store my sources and scripts in an nfs mounted directory. I've found actually building over nfs is fairly slow, especially the tarball extraction. Extracting from the nfs partition to a local partition is reasonably fast.