On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 01:43:52PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> On 04/15/2018 01:16 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 11:27:22AM +0200, Pierre Labastie wrote:
> > >
> > > Done, and it built. Ken, don't you think the instructions should wipe out
> > > /sources/RUST after installing?
> > >
> > > Pierre
> > >
> > We don't explicitly remove the build directories, AFAICS.
> >
> > This is a first (hopefully the only) DESTDIR in the book and I'm
> > reluctant to blow it away before we know if there are possible
> > problems with it (unexpectedly, the problems seem to be in the
> > builds).
>
> Actually, I like the idea of having an example DESTDIR install in the book.

I think I am thoroughly pissed off by everything related to rust :)

> > I suppose we could do something like ${PWD}/DESTDIR to install it
> > within the build tree, and then the real install would be something
> > like:
> >
> > chown -R root:root DESTDIR
> > cp -a DESTDIR/* *
> >
> > and it would all get blown away when the source was removed.  But
> > maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Perhaps a note to say to replace 'sources' with the user's choice of
> directory would be appropriate.

On reflection, I think that putting the DESTDIR in the current
directory (and therefore removing it with that) will be cleaner.

> I tend to build in /tmp (which I have mounted as a separate partition).
> Personally I do:
>
> DIR=`pwd`
>
> BUILDDIR=/tmp/<package>
> DEST=$BUILDDIR/install
>
> sudo rm -rf $BUILDDIR
> mkdir  $BUILDDIR
> cd     $BUILDDIR
>
> tar -xf $DIR/$PROGRAM.tar.?z*
> cd $PROGRAM
> DESTDIR="$DEST" <install program>
>
> But there are many ways to select a DESTDIR.  The example used now is fine,
> but there should be something to tell the users that there is flexibility in
> that choice.

I like calling it 'install'.

> Note.  The reason I build in /tmp is because I store my sources and scripts
> in an nfs mounted directory.  I've found actually building over nfs is
> fairly slow, especially the tarball extraction.  Extracting from the nfs
> partition to a local partition is reasonably fast.

I too have /sources on nfs.  Yeah, from time to time I am building on
multiple machines, sometimes two are updating firefox (or rust or
qt/qtwebengine) at the same time so a single /sources on nfs doesn't
work - quite apart from the slowness of building over nfs.

But for untarring I mostly don't notice the times.

And yesterday I tried building llvm in /tmp for speed (tmpfs, should
be fast) - only to discover that for some reason the fstab I had
started from (system was a binary copy from an older machine, fstab
modified to point to the correct partitions) restricted the size of
/tmp to 2GB.  Can't remember why I did that, now changed.

Will start a new thread listing how I propose to change llvm and
rustc.

ĸen
--
In my seventh decade astride this planet, and as my own cells degrade,
there are some things I cannot do now: skydiving, marathon running,