I am trying to finish up tagging the multimedia section of the book. There are two problematic packages left.

transcode. This builds fine with the current instructions but there is a comment in the xml: <!-- Come on guys, it doesn't work properly -->

I think that is from Ken. The question is what is wrong? And if it is not working properly, what should we do about it?

=======

mplayer. The most recent version is 1.3.0, but that was released Feb 2016. It does not build at all in 8.3. I did do a svn checkout:

svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunl

That does build (not installed yet) with the current instructions. The first thing configure does is download ffmpeg via git.

The question here is whether we should try to create a tarball that builds or just drop it from BLFS. The tarball would be difficult to reproduce since it uses development versions from two different repositories.

I'm leaning towards dropping it.  What do you think?

=======

8.3 status:

Open tickets:    16
Tags remaining: 224 (lfs83 tags: 534)