On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 08:55:41PM +0100, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 12:56:50AM +0100, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
>
> I was thinking that my next step on this odyssey would be to build
> rustc-1.29.0 on a 4-core machine (to measure it).  But phoronix
> reports llvm-7.0 is now tagged, but will probably not be released
> for a few days to give them time to build binaries - original at
>
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-September/126164.html
>
> So I guess I won't try building 1.29.0 until 7.0 is out.

Finally got there.  One of the things I had noticed in my
experiments was that building with clang and clang++ saved a lot of
space in the build, although the installed files took a similar
space.

So, I added CC=clang CXX=clang++ to my firefox-beta script.

Bad move.

That was with an earlier beta, at the weekend I picked up a newer
beta.  First step was to see if the option to use alsa was still
accepted.  Still using llvm-6.0.1 at that point.  A weird (c++)
scope error, playing around with -std= just gave me different
errors.  Went back to gcc/g++, built fine.

Today I have now built that same beta on my latest system, using
gcc-7.0 to build rustc-1.29.0.  Again, a similar scope error.  with
gcc/g++ it built fine.

Still, at least firefox-62.0.2 includes the fix for rustc-1.29.0.

ĸen
--
Tout est bien, tout va bien, tout va pour le mieux qu'il soit possible
                       -- Candide, de Voltaire