On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 01:33:55PM +0800, Kevin Buckley via blfs-dev wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I normally add in the Berkeley DB package as part of my LFS build,
> just so I can enable the extra server in Inetutils.
>
> I note though that the BLFS version is 5.3.28, whilst the last of that
> series, ie before Oracle changed the version-numbering system, is
> 6.2.32.
>
> I just wanted to point out that in building various 8.X LFS-s, I have
> used the 6.2.n series and, apart from not needing the patch that
> the BLFS book suggests that the 5.2.38 version requires, I have
> not had any problems with it.
>
> Is there then a reason for not using, at least, 6.2.32 as the BLFS
> Berkeley DB version now?
>
> Kevin

Your system, your choice, and if it breaks you get to keep all the
pieces.  But seriously, breakage with 6 is unlikely, but with 18 who
knows what changed ?  In general linux distros have stayed with 5
because of the license changes in 6.  AFAICS nobody else was using
18, which opens the possibility tha it might change something.  In
addition, the (few) packages which use Berkeley DB know about 5, and
some of them know about 6).  Using 5 seemed the least dangerous
approach.

http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/2018-August/080300.html

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/10989#ticket

And if you were to try building 5.3.28 on a current system you would
find that hte patch is indeed required for v5.

ĸen
--
Tout est bien, tout va bien, tout va pour le mieux qu'il soit possible
                       -- Candide, de Voltaire