On 09/28/2018 02:11 AM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
On 9/28/18 7:51 AM, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 12:17:07AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
On 09/27/2018 11:54 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
I've updated the online rendered versions of the branch, again at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/perl-changes/

The versions shown on the front pages remain at 18th September, but
the individual pages are correctly labelled as 27th September.  That
probably means I missed the date change in general.ent in the last
merege (I mistakenly thought I could just take trunk's version,
forgetting I had added cpan entities there - until the render blew
up).

Only another 100 or so modules to get through ;)

Comments still welcome.

I like what you've done.

Thanks.

  It makes things a lot easier.  One thing though.
In most packages you have:

  This module uses the standard build and installation instructions:

perl Makefile.PL &&
make             &&
make test

Now, as the root user:

make install

And that is repeated over and over.  Why not make "standard build and
installation instructions" a symlink to a common section similar to the old
page?  Just list the specific instructions where there is something
different (like Encode::HanExtra and Text::BibTeX).

It was Pierre's suggestion, to simplify things for jhalfs (and in
particular, for modules where there were differences such as applying
a patch e.g. as Data::Uniquid, as was - patch now removed as
unnecessary).

I know it is boring to see all those similar instructions. As it is now, there
is no need to change anything in jhalfs to be able to build all the perl
modules on the new page. If you make a symlink, jhalfs will have to follow
this link. That would not be hard if there were only one set of instructions.
But if there are special cases (such as using Module::Build or something more
specific), there should be a flag (remap attribute?) in the xml to direct
jhalfs to use the correct instructions. With the former perl module page
layout (such as what is in trunk), jhalfs was relying on the xref in the text
to get the instructions right, but it was almost always failing when something
specific was needed... As you know, it is hard to analyze text in XSL
translation.

So for now, I suggest waiting for completion of the new page. Then the
instruction entities could be replaced with just a sentence, and a remap in
the xref.

How about this:

<xref remap="perl-instr" linkend="perl-std"/>

And have blfs key off of "perl-instr" to use

perl Makefile.PL &&
make             &&
make test        &&
sudo make install