Am Sonntag, den 23.06.2019, 17:55 -0400 schrieb Joe Locash via blfs-
dev:
> Is there any interest in adding MATE to BLFS? I have it working, just
> tweaking the minor issues out.

Due to change of my ISP, my answer to this thread gots lost in space. All of
what I'd like to comment has been said in the meanwhile. Nevertheless, I'd like
to resend my answer - see below.

Joe, don't be frustrated. Its so much fun to do (B)LFS, with or without having
the one or the other package in the book. See, I've managed to go thru BLFS
based on a MultiLib-LFS (which is not "officially" supported, only available as
a branch for those who knows that its there) upto having a running VirtualBox
with running LFS as VMs :-). A good amount of packages required for that are
not in the book.
That said, just put together a text file with all the instructions to build
MATE, post it here and we will see if we could take it over into the Wiki or
store it at least as a hint.

I think to support the situation that there are motivated contributors but we
still lack on editor ressources, we should bring the wiki to a more prominent
apperance. In my eyes, we have

- "The Book"
  Actively maintained, verified and on checked stable versions. Thats where
"official" (B)LFS is.

- the Wiki
  refered to from existing pages, but otherwise hardly used

- the Hints
  More or less "one-time" drop-ins for strange and esoteric matters

What about if we could pull the Wiki more out of the background to have

- "The Book"
  Actively maintained, verified and on checked stable versions. Thats where
"official" (B)LFS is.

- the Wiki
  refered to from existing pages, open for willing and authenticated users to
put stuff in just like the book but without the need to be constantly verified
and checked. Kind of "community area". Just pages like in the book, but not
(neccessarily) under maintenance of the editors crew. Most of that is allready
there, starting point is the
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/BlfsNotes link. If the pages are
well-formed and demands are there, it might be relativly easy to take content
over to the Book.

- the Hints
  More or less "one-time" drop-ins for strange and esoteric matters

Thoughts?

--orig msg--
Cool stuff!

Problem is once MATE is added to the book, it needs to be maintained,
not only for the next few months but for years. But maybe an editor
raises his hand to take that task. Unfortunatly, there are not that
many of them.

If you have recorded the steps and packages to build, a hint or a wiki
page would be great. In those pages it is not that dramatic if an
outdated version is referenced. Its the logic of building which make
live interesting ;-)

--
Thomas