On 08/06/2019 11:03 AM, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-dev wrote:

On 8/6/19 9:52 AM, Jean-Marc Pigeon via blfs-dev wrote:
On 08/06/2019 10:34 AM, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-dev wrote:

On 8/6/19 9:15 AM, Jean-Marc Pigeon via blfs-dev wrote:
Hello,

Could someone confirm he is able to display
html5 video using seamonkey (2.49.4)?

Trying to display vimeo.com, seamonkey say
player error...
(obviously there is not flashplayer within BLFS anymore).

Notes:
1) using seamonkey I am able to watch youtube video.
2) using falkon (3.0.1) , I can see BOTH youtube.com and vimeo.com
   (so we can say, HTML5 is properly configured within (my) falkon)
3) neither firefox (68.0.1) or epiphany (3.32.4) are installed
   (only falkon and seamonkey).

Most certainly I overlooked something about seamonkey build,
a hint will be very welcome.

HTML5 is one of many standards that Seamonkey doesn't support. A new
upstream release is being worked out to solve this and well over a
hundred security issues (since it's based off an ancient Firefox ESR).
It's being rebased off of Firefox-68 ESR, which does support HTML5
video. It's using the VP9 codec when you go to YouTube I believe.

Thanks,  Ok... better understanding now...

So, you say, seamonkey (2.49.4) via BLFS 2019-08-04 doesn't
support HTML5...
but, according
https://opensourceforu.com/2016/12/seamonkey-2-46-supports-html5/

HTML5 is available since 2.46 (my understanding)

Does the book build directives need to be adjusted for
seamonkey or 2.46+HTML5 annonce is a "big exaggeration"?

I think it's a slight overexaggeration. I've personally never
experienced Seamonkey working with any HTML5 video. One of the sites I
frequent is twitch.tv, and it uses strictly HTML5 video. Seamonkey
refuses to play it... December 2016 would've been while I was at my last
college too, and I distinctly remember having to switch web browsers
after Seamonkey 2.46 claimed to support HTML5 but didn't (at that time,
I didn't use Firefox! I was more comfortable with the UI of Seamonkey,
and in some ways, I still am).

This seems rather  "a major inconsistency" ;)

Lets say HTML5 is an important de-facto/proposed standard.

May I suggest to add to BLFS seamonkey page
something like.

"Current seamonkey build configuration make a not HTML5 compliant browser"

the fact the build is not correct or the HTML5 is; as say Douglas;
"a slight overexaggeration" could be settle down in a next BLFS release.

--
seen "Linux from scratch" and looking for ISO files
www.osukiss.org