On 9/10/19 1:09 PM, Tim Tassonis via blfs-dev wrote:

On 10 September 2019 19:51:22 Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev <blfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

On 9/10/19 12:36 PM, Tim Tassonis via blfs-dev wrote:
Hi all

I noticed that initd-tools is gone from BLFS and seems to have been
replaced by lsb-tools. I also noticed that BLFS bootscripts have been
updated with tons of fixes for dependency information, so thanks for all
the work on that!

However, I noticed that lsb-tools is implemented in python3, which of
course is no problem for the book, as python3 is needed for meson/ninja
in lfs already.

My own personal problem is that my lfs/blfs-based distro does contain
initd-tools in the minimal install I use for my routers, but not
python3, and I'd like to keep it that way, for size and security reasons
(less software means less bugs).

So, what I wanted to ask:

In what functional way do the new python-based install_initd and
remove_initd differ from the old, c-based ones?

Will the old ones not be able to correctly manage the new BLFS init
scrips due to missing functionality?

And if not, what is missing from the old ones? I would then try to add
this to initd-tools, so I can still use those.

For a minimal install on a router why do you need to install a boot
script at all?  For LFS based systems you can always use 'make
install=<package> from the bootscripts tarball.

Because I like to activate init scrips using install_initd and l also don' t have "make" on my routers. As my routers do dns/dhcp server, iptables, rely on ntp for time, use nginx for the web interface and ssh for administration, etc etc, I do have the need to manage bootscripts.

I'm also really not in anyway complaining about the switch to python, I just have a specific use-case and wanted to know how I can stay as close to lfs/blfs as possible while still be able to handle my differences.

I naturally would be completely lost maintaining my own distro without such a great upstream as lfs/blfs, so forgive me if I stepped on any toes.

No toes. :)

Your distro, your rules.

I'd suggest just using the previous version of lsb_release for your custom installations.

  -- Bruce