On Tue, 2020-09-08 at 12:19 +0100, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> [... trimming to keep just the question ...]
> I guess the real question is:
>
> Do BLFS users build llvm without clang, and if so, what do they use
> it for ?

I (or ranter jhalfs for blfs) always build llvm with clang and
compiler-rt. For some packages, clang gets used instead of gcc. I've
never tried to measure what is gained or lost because of that.

I think llvm standalone is mainly used by various mesa drivers
(llvmpipe, amdgpu). Maybe also by a few audio/video codecs, but not
sure.

Pierre