On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 7:22 PM Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev <
blfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On 2/1/21 5:46 PM, Tim Tassonis via blfs-dev wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I just installed gparted for the first time as in the SVN book (version
> > 1.2.0) and it seems that the part about root privileges seems to be
> > outdated.
> >
> > I installed gparted without any helper stuff and it seems that the
> > provided org.gnome.gparted.policy already does the trick: when I call
> > gparted, it asks me about an admin user and after I enter the password,
> > gparted starts just fine. ps shows that it runs under root:
> >
> > timtas@lfsda0:~/src/lgl/src/lgl-2.5/desk/093-gparted$ ps -ef |grep
> parted
> > timtas   19549 19445  0 00:35 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh
> > /opt/X11/bin/gparted
> > root     19552 19549  0 00:35 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh
> > /opt/X11/bin/gparted
> > root     19578 19552  1 00:36 ?        00:00:09 /opt/X11/sbin/gpartedbin
> >

> > gparted also links against dbus/elogind, which is not listed as a
> > dependency in the book.
>
> I can't confirm what you found because the very infrequent times I've
> run gparted I just use sudo from the command line.  However, gparted
> does require gtkmm->gtk3->libepoxy->mesa->xorg libraries->elogind
> (recommended)
>
> > Can anybody confirm this? I can update the page, if nobody else wants to.
>
> If you get someone else to confirm, go ahead and make the change.

I've tested and can confirm that the helpers are not needed but with a
caveat.
org.gnome.gparted.policy is a polkit rule so polkit has to be installed.
It isn't listed
as a dependency (should it be recommended?) for gparted.  If the user
running
gparted is in the wheel group they shouldn't be asked for an admin
user/pass.