On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 19:37 -0500, Craig Colton wrote:
> I see. I'm not familar with this, so I probably can't help. However, I'm not
> sure how Linux can use a piece of hardware without first having a /dev entry
> (I'm trying hard to think of another instance where this happens, but can't -
> maybe ethernet).

It's not normal, but not uncommon either - network devices are the
obvious case, but keyboards and displays don't typically have /dev
entries either. And USB ports (as opposed to devices connected to ports)
are another.

As I understand it, PTP cameras don't have any kernel support other than
reporting that the camera is present on a given USB port - everything is
handled by userspace code that talks directly to the camera via the
port.

Simon.