Hi again

I had this with a canon bjc4000.

Everyone told me I had the wrong ppd file. I never solved it.
I was printing locally, so I had other options. I went away and never
came back.

Well, in my case it was the 'wrong' ppd file that was the issue. I noticed that on Slackware (where everything works well) the ppd was an older version, so I tried again with cups using the older one and hey presto, it worked! I don't know why new ppd which comes straight from the manufacturer's web site didn't work, but there you are ',8o|.

So, my thanks again for your time; and my apologies that the question had such a simple solution which I should have thought to try before bothering you all.

Dave
8o)