On 11/14/05, IraqiGeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My problem is that if I customize the the prompt, I will still get a
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]: /PATH before any prompt string that I set. Imagine this if
> I am
> in a subdirectory, the prompt will be something like this:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/sysconfig/network-devices#
>
> What can be the cause of the duplicate prompt, which is the first since I go
> back to the prompt I mentioned in the original post when I comment the
> export PS1 lines in /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile.

In Ch. 3 Bash Shell Startup Files, there is a file created
/etc/profile.d/extra-prompt.sh.  Read that section again.  There's a
variable called PROMPT_COMMAND that's being executed just before PS1,
and it's echoing the "[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/root" part to your prompt.  To
remove this, and completely control the prompt through PS1, add unset
PROMPT_COMMAND to ~/.bashrc.  Or, change the suffix of extra-prompt.sh
to something else like /etc/profile.d/extra-prompt.sh.off and it won't
execute at login.  It's added to the book as an example, but
unfortunately the example used doesn't produce good results as is.

Search the blfs-support mailing lists for PROMPT_COMMAND to find some
more better ways to use it.

--
Dan