On 12/4/05, Tapio Kelloniemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm having trouble with my GNOME 2.12 installation and would like to
> receive some advice. The whole story of my unsuccess is here:

[...]

> First I tried to build GNOME 2.12.1 using the exact same versions of the
> packages that the book lists. The resulting GNOME started without error
> messages (no error dialogs or messages to console or suspicious syslog
> stuff). This build was tested only as root. THe problem was that all
> menus were empty or had only few entries.

I had this problem before.  I'm pretty sure that this has to do with
the XDG_*_DIRS variables.  I'm assuming that you're installing in /opt
since if everything was in /usr, that wouldn't happen.  I don't know
which package it is, but I think one of the menu creation packages
requires XDG_DATA_DIRS to include /opt/gnome/share before it builds.
I had scripted the build and figured I could set the variables after
the fact at run time.  Then I got the menus missing all the gnome
stuff.

So, now when I build gnome, I export GNOME_LIBCONFIG_PATH,
LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH, XDG_DATA_DIRS, and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS right at the
beginning before I've even built the packages that need them.  Now I
get the menus, and it doesn't seem to create any spurios errors.

> Then I tried to build the version 2.12.2 of the desktop with the BLFS
> instructions, but newer versions. Build succeeded nicely, but the system
> is not working. When starting the GNOME as root, an error dialog pops up
> telling that gnome-panel has died unexpectedly. Choosing "restart"
> causes another error to show up: gnome-panel detected a running panel
> and exits now. This second error dialog is immediately followed by the
> first one and so on... Choosing "don't restart" in the first dialog box
> of course leaves the desktop without a panel. When starting the new
> installation as an unprivileged user, the results vary:

This one I don't know about.  I've thought about upgrading to 2.12.2,
but the time investment is high for GNOME on my slow hardware.  Unless
you want to track down bugs, the versions in the book are known to
build pretty well.  I would wipe every trace of GNOME and start again
with the book versions, making sure to export the variables early.

Sidenote: You probably got the menus the second time around because
now your user profile includes XDG_*, etc.

Good luck.

--
Dan