Ken Moffat wrote:

This looks as if you've installed a 64-bit perl compiler. There is a reason for the note in 10.33.1 of the multilib book, perl predates almost everything else, and behaves very badly with multilib (typically, things like 'perl -V' show the wrong libs, and when we used to build 32 and 64 bit perl for the temp system, it didn't work correctly). Most people only want to run perl code, and 32-bit will do. In this case, rpm seems to be trying to compile against perl headers, in which case 32-bit probably won't do - it certainly *seems* to have the correct headers, but maybe one of them is not finding the right includes.

If you installed the 64-bit perl after the 32-bit, the headers _should_ be correct for 64-bit types.

Ken

Originally I had not built perl for 64bit as, like you mentioned, I only needed it for limited things, but when I tried installing rpm onto the 64bit side of things originally it said I was missing some perl libraries. I installed perl selecting most things as default and altering the rest to reflect the /usr/lib64 aspect and the -m64 flag. It was after this I got the field '_crypt_struct' has incomplete type error. After searching the internet and some helpful advice on here I was told -D_GNU_SOURCE should fix the problem but only if it was included in the flags when perl was built. Hence the reason I recompiled perl and it then worked.

As for rpm, it is the rpmbuild program I required to enable me to rpm the files that I have created for my clfs project which allows me to share files with others who have also undergone the clfs project :)

In the end I got rpm working but it took a lot more hassle than it should have, next time I will simply install it as a 32bit app I think!

Thanks again

Justin