Ok, here is the situation:

I have had a perfectly running home server/file server for some time. Handles mail, web, local imap, ssh, DNS, and so on.

I installed vmware free server, up and running.

Now, when I try to connect to it remotely, the server refuses to allow the connection. However, I can connect to a windows machine running the vmware free server from the linux install.

I figure that it's due to the lack of PAM (I had to fake the directories to get the server to install). So I installed the PAM libs, still no joy.

I'm guessing that the vmware server uses PAM to authenticate remote connections. However, it seems that I would have to recompile shadow to use PAM before it will work.

Normally, I wouldn't have an issue with this, but I have running multiple things running on this machine, and I'm worried about what might break if I did redo shadow.

So, any comments on the damage redoing shadow might do? I did notice that the BLFS book lists 4.0.9 and 4.0.18 is the latest available.

Or any idea how to get vmware to work without PAM?

Justin