On 12/1/06, jeeva suresh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi guys.

I have gone through all the steps to try and get alsa working on my
computer, and have run upon the following situation.

aplay -l reports the correct sound card.

I have used both amixer and alsamixer to unmute all my channels, and
have gone through and even unmuted only selective channels.

The system never complains about anything, but when I run
speaker-test, it produces no sound.

The output that appears on the console in all these instances looks
fine, (no blatant errors) but still sound refuses to come out of the
speaker.

I have checked all the cables, and the sound is onboard NVIDIA.

Just to ask the stupid questions first. Was the sound working before
you built LFS? Is it possible to boot into another OS and check that
things are OK? You're sure all the cables are connected and the
speakers are powered, etc? (It's happened before)

Next, are you pretty confident that you have all the kernel modules?
Snoop around in /proc/asound and see if what's in the files like
cards, devices and modules seems to match your hardware. If you don't
have a /proc/asound, then this would seem to be a kernel issue.

As root, what's the output of 'amixer info' and 'amixer scontents'?
You should be able to see what the settings are for your device in a
decimal and percent number. I'd also check the output of 'amixer
contents' and make sure that all the settings appear to be reasonable.
Something like 'Master Playback Switch' could obviously blow the whole
operation and might be difficult to see in alsamixer.

I hope I don't send you into a black hole with this one. A while ago I
finally figured out why I could never use my microphone, and the only
way it happened was I because I was grovelling through
/etc/asound.state and noticed all these settings I didn't know about.
One of them was the capture source, and it was set to the wrong thing.
It seemed to be set correctly in the GUI configurator, but this said
otherwise.

--
Dan