On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Shawn wrote:

> On March 8, 2007, Jorge Almeida wrote:
>> I suppose I must try that next monday. I will also try "us"
>> XkbLayout. Until then I'm connected via ssh to the gentoo part and
>> then chroot to the LFS part...
>> BTW, I have a small(?) problem that may or may not be related. On
>> booting, the console cursor (i.e. the blinking underscore) appears
>> misplaced. I can login but the cursor is a few lines above. If I
>> change to another VT and then come back, the cursor becomes normal.
>> Is this a symptom of some known problem?
>>

> Jorge:
> I too came from gentoo. Like others, i used the /etc from gentoo as
> examples to config my lfs/blfs system. Though this is not a bad idea as
> far as giving you/me ideas as to how to config the system, a wholesale
> copy from one system to the next will not work. The people at gentoo
> have spent a lot of time customizing their distribution. They also
Yes, that is true in general, but does it apply to the configuration of
X? I didn't copy the contents of /etc, which is probably what differs
most between distributions. But I think the contents of xorg.conf are
just a xorg thing, unrelated to, say, baselayout.
> customize the kernel. The most noticeable difference is in sysvinit.
Well, I'm in the worst case scenario, because I don't use sysvinit!:)
I'm trying runit as substitute to init. Till now, the system boots and
the stage 2 services are running (currently only 5 gettys and gpm). No
networking yet, because I don't know for sure how to approach the
problem (it seems that it would spread over stage 1 and stage 2...)

> No ofence intended
None taken, I assure you.
>if this is obvious to you. It is just a friendly
> reminder. :)
>
> Shawn

Jorge