brown wrap wrote these words on 03/12/10 09:55 CST:

> In trying to build Python, I kept getting the following errors:
>
> Failed to build these modules:
> _hashlib           _ssl

Then something else is wrong. Paths, or something is different than
what Python is expecting. Those modules build perfectly for me.

> I had Openssl installed, but whenever I used any software, where Python was
> called on to use md5 I'd get errors. This stopped from building several
> packages that I wanted. The fix is to go into the source directory of Python
> and edit Modules/Setup (or Steup.dist on a fresh build) and uncomment out a
> few lines. This may be clear to a lot of people, but not clear to me:
>
>  Socket module helper for socket(2)
> _socket socketmodule.c
>
> # Socket module helper for SSL support; you must comment out the other
> # socket line above, and possibly edit the SSL variable:
> SSL=/usr/ssl
> _ssl _ssl.c \
>         -DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
>         -L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto

I'm glad that worked for you; however, you are probably better off
trying to figure out what the *real* problem is. Using a hack that
nobody else needs to use should be telling you something.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.22] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
11:20:00 up 75 days, 16:28, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.01