Murdok Petrovsky wrote these words on 07/03/11 13:15 CST:
> I'm trying to build a script for uninstall packages, for this i need
> build a list with files and path of files installed, well my best
> solution is use fakeroot or fakechroot, i don't want use make DESTDIR
> install because some packages don't support it like GLIBC.

Just for the record, GLIBC does support a DESTDIR installation, only you
must use 'make install_root=DESTDIR install' (DESTDIR is whatever location
you desire).

Almost all packages support a DESTDIR installation in one way or another.
The only issue is you need to run the 'make install DESTDIR="whatever"
command as root, or unexpected things occur. Things such as some files not
being created (GTK+, for example), SETUID/SETGID are not set properly,
ownerships are not set properly, etc.

The only problem with the make install as root is very rarely, the install
target does not completely honor the DESTDIR location, and installs the
file into /usr (or whatever prefix you choose). This is no issue for me,
as I check to see if a file exists before I do the copy from the the
DESTDIR location to the final destination. If it exists, I find out why
(if I am not already expecting it).

My Package Management solution uses DESTDIR and does everything I need
(which are all the things you describe). I can uninstall a package using
a simple command (though I would never uninstall GLIBC as you mention
and Andy also recommends to avoid doing).

> I've downloaded  and installed fakeroot and fakechroot.
>
> Now my question how can i do make install on fakechroot,
>
> Makepkg of archlinux use fakeroot but nobody can't  explain how it works

Sorry, can't help you with these. I've never needed or used them.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.24] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
18:24:00 up 9 min, 1 user, load average: 0.52, 0.50, 0.29