al...@verizon.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just upgraded CUPS from an ancient version, 1.2.8 to BLFS-latest, 1.5
> Here are a couple notes some other adventurous souls might find useful.
>
> Local USB printer, Samsung ML-2510 (as garden-variety as they come).
> Kernel 3.0.9, udev-173
>
> 1.  In '/usr/lib/cups/filter/' the applicable filter for Samsung,
>  'rastertosamsungspl', MUST be owned by root:lp

On my system, the filters are mode 0555, root:root.  Would that work?
They are, after all, executable modules.  I think the ownership was your
problem.

> 2.  In the latest BLFS book, chapter 43, CUPS-1.5.0, there's a
>
> << Note
>    If you plan to use a USB printer with CUPS, do not enable the "usblp"
>    driver as either built-in or as a module in your kernel configuration
>    as it will cause the new CUPS USB backend to fail.
>    /var/log/sys.log will contain entries similar to the following:
>    kernel: [54631.796465] usb 4-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp while
>     'usb' sets config #1 >>
>
> In my case, not exactly true.

> On kernel version 3.0.9 at least, your only "usblp" choice is <M> or nothing
> (i.e., there's no built-in), and on nothing the USB printer does not work
> (not surprisingly, I'd say)
>
> On <M> it does work (like it should), and speaking of "usbfs", you get
> something along the lines,

I have been using LFS 7.0 (3.0.4 kernel) and it can be built in.  I
can't check a more recent version right now, but I suspect the module
requirement was because some dependent parameter was a module.

Unfortunately, I don't have a printer that I can test with.

Thanks for the comments.

   -- Bruce