On 06/14/2012 03:42 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 08:46:20PM -0400, alex lupu wrote:
>> BLFS i686-pc-linux-gnu
>> kernel 3.4.1
>> glibc 2.14.1
>> gcc 4.7.0
>> GNU Make 3.81
>> binutils 2.22
>
>   Is that what you are building, or what is on your host ?
>
>   In either case, it doesn't match any version of the book (old glibc
> and make, very recent gcc and binutils), so I assume you have
> updated some packages but not others ?  Doing that is fine, but if
> it breaks you can get unusual problems, perhaps this is one of them.
>
>   And at the risk of boring people, and attracting scorn from those
> who *do* update glibc versions in-place, I repeat that the only
> recommended way to update glibc versions on LFS is to make a new
> build on a different partition.

Who recommended that? Did upstream do it? I don't recall having any bad
failures with that one. LFS tends to scare people of upgrading stuff.
Same for Linux API Headers. No one said that your system will explode if
you upgrade API headers from 3.2.1 to 3.2.12 for example, those are just
headers ... Same for glibc. Glibc claims to be backwards-compatible, but
not forward compatible. Programs compiled on 2.13 can run on 2.15 very
well (well, there has been recent RPC stuff change, but that means that
only some and not ALL apps need to be recompiled after upgrade in order
to link with libtirpc to use these functions). Also, that's how binary
programs work. Binary program was compiled on, eg glibc2.3 or such, but
still runs on glibc 2.15.