> From blfs-support-boun...@linuxfromscratch.org Sun Sep  8 13:39:45 2013
> Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 05:23:59 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sirsendu Roy <xai...@yahoo.com>
> To: akhiezer <lf...@cruziero.com>,
>         BLFS Support List <blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] Cannot Print document using HP Printer
>

> Hi,
> Ok, Let's analyze the matter systematically !!!!

Then you should, as more-or-less established, install Ghostscript (& perhaps
also Gutenprint: tho' I don't know if that functionality would be already
covered/provided by hplip).

You're best to install that/those, and then re-do your original cups
config/compile &c, and go from there. Debug one thing at a time: if instead you
try to debug multiple things at one time then especially the likes of printing
can really bite you.

>  I have deleted everything using cups admin, job queue, printers.
> According to BLFS cups installation manual, "There is a conflict between the
> Cups libusb backend and the usblp kernel driver. If you want to use Cups with
> libusb, do not enable USB Printer support in your kernel"
>
> I have enabled the USB Printer support option in the kernel (As I have
> compiled the kernel before I have installed the cups module !!!). So I have
> used the --disable-libusswitch when compiling cups.

Just double-check: above, you say '--disable-libusswitch': is that just a typo?
The switch should be '--disable-libusb' : did you use the correct spelling when
compiling?

Also, did you compile usblp into the kernel as a loadable module, or not?
Can you verify that the usblp module is loaded and stays loaded?

> Now when I try to use the cups front end using the web browser and try to
> find the printer- it cannot not find the printer.
> Do you think this is normal  as I have not compiled cups with libusb support?
> if yes, then I need to add the printer manually, istn't it? Which I tried to
> do but I do not know what I should write : the options are :
> http://hostname:631/ipp/
> http://hostname:631/ipp/port1
>  ipp://hostname/ipp/
> ipp://hostname/ipp/port1
> lpd://hostname/queue
> socket://hostname
> socket://hostname:9100
>
> I have tried http://hostname:631/ipp/, ipp://hostname/ipp/ and
> lpd://hostname/queuebut it didn't work !!!! it is saying not such hostname
> when trying to print a test page.
> It will be nice if you can provide me a step by step debug instruction

Per above re ghostscript &c, then redo original compile &c.
Use only the cups web-admin for now at least, when trying to add new
queues/printers/&c.
Bear in mind that you _might_ be hitting the old 'kernel doesn't reattach
usblp'
bug: BUT, don't delve into that possibility prior to the above steps.

((Disclaimer: I never use hplip, or usb printers.))

rgds,
akh