> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 18:27:57 -0500
> From: Alan Feuerbacher <alan...@comcast.net>
> To: BLFS Support List <blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] Lots of problems with Firefox
>
> On 12/4/2013 6:44 AM, akhiezer wrote:
>
> > More discussion via e.g. google 'firefox disable javascript', seemingly incl
> > that perhaps it'll make a reappearance in ff24.
> >
> > (I stopped using ff quite a long time ago, other than occasionally within a
> > VM).
>
> Why did you stop using ff, and what do you use now?

Usage:
~65% : seamonkey (browser only).
~30% : links (txt- & gfc- modes).
~3% : lynx.
~2% : ff (and several other browsers, incl safari, ie, chrome) in VMs.

Why 'stop': it's more that it never really stuck. Been using the seamonkey
lineage from mosaic thru netscape-navigator thru mozilla-suite then
seamonkey: other browsers have been used in parallel  - and some for quite
a number of years (e.g. ff, konqueror) - then fell away again.

Was already back down to ~~20% ff usage, when the 'whalesong and joss-sticks,
strategy-boutique' brigade started rearing their heads at ff: and I'm not
interested in hitching much if anything to that kind of wagon; and so
progressively lost interest in putting much effort - although I still keep
half an eye on what they're up to (mainly release notes and changelogs) -
into actively dealing with, or generally expending resources on, the likes
of ff and their ilk; approx same level as for microsoft and apple.

With seamonkey, don't have any problems with the [no smart comments please]
wide range of 'net sites and functionality that typically use - incl online
banking, shopping - or with quite heavy usage (e.g. 5 windows with ~~ 30 -
150  tabs per window - usually got bunches of stuff on the go in parallel,
with some areas backburnered.) As for 'links', tend to use it for anything
excepting bank/shopping: just never tried the latter with 'links', as
more-or-less always only do bank/shopping/some-other-types-of-logins from a
partic machine and os and browser.

Btw, although only use the browser part of seamonkey now, have used the
email client & address book components quite a lot in the past (since
netscape, and in parallel with mailx). Never really ever used the web-editor
(vi + specs are plenty) or the chat components. However, do know of quite a
few folks who do use various subsets of the mail/address-book/composer/chat
parts: they're software that do the job, update sensibly and un-obnoxiously,
and not prone to being stomped on from upstream.

hth,

akh