On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 06:44:14AM -0400, David wrote:
> Is there a package and/or documentation on how to change the console font and
> what the options are?  I'd like to be able to see more text on the screen, if
> that makes any sense.
> I'm not asking about X fonts, since I haven't gotten to the point of
> installing X yet.

 Beyond what akh has already noted,

ls /usr/share/consolefonts/*psfu*

 Any .psfu.gz font will display _some_ unicode.  The display of
"size" in the fonty names varies, but any -16 or x16 will be based
on a character cell 16 lines high.  That is usually the normal
starting point, and matches most bios fonts for size.

 So, to get more text use a smaller font (14,12,10,8).  On a modern
monitor, good luck with trying to read them ;-)

 (For thse who have the opposite problem (text too small to read) I
would suggest either using a 12x22 font, or passing a smaller screen
specification in the bootargs - I sometimes use "video=800x600" with
an 8x16 font on a 1600x1200 screen.)

 You will need to test the fonts, both to see if they look readable
and acceptable, and to see if they can cope with the characters you
want to read.

 If you have any interest in reading non-ascii characters on your
screen, you also need some test text showing the things that you
care about.  For alphabetic languages, I have some UTF-8 examples at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/fonts/font-testing/ (I want to
know that, for example, the letter a with grave, acute, and
circumflex accents will display correctly - a,à,á,â.)

ĸen