On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 12:37:05AM +0200, Alexey Orishko wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >  I very much doubt it - you *might* be able to detect how many keys
> > exist, and I guess that the options within full (e)udev or systemd
> > will probably notice the "extra" keys (sleep, mail, etc) in certain
> > keyboards - particularly for laptops, but might also work on
> > "regular" keyboards with those extra keys - but identifying which
> > key symbol has been etched onto a keycap is not going to happen.
>
> I'm looking for a solution for desktop only.
> For example, while installing Ubuntu desktop or server, it always
> successfully detects my keyboard (no-latin1), so I wonder if there is
> any application I could include in blfs to do the same trik.
>
> Regards,
> Alexey

 Really ?  I haven't installed a distro for about 3 years - that was
ubuntu, and from what I remember I had to specify the keymap (which
is how I come to be using a horrible en_gb variant with dead keys
on the ttys of that netbook).  I can understand a distro making a
likely guess about the desired keymap based on your language and
locale - at least for some common combinations.

 Anyway, I do not see the use case (unless you are creating a
distro for other people to install).  If you build it yourself, you
know what keymap is desired (and that might not be the same as what
is on the keys, I think some people learn dvorak or other variant
mappings without changing the keycaps).

 But you could always look at ubuntu's installer / scripts - they
must be out there somewhere, but I don't know which package or
script name would do this : the last time I looked, they were using
console-tools which was not a patch on kbd in my opinion.

ĸen