On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 07:42:36PM -0500, alex lupu wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM, <rhubarbpie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Is the Xorg Intel Driver page in the Xorg Drivers section missing Direct
> > Rendering Manager --->?  As an example, should the following block be
> > changed to the second block?
> >
> > Device Drivers --->
> >     Graphics support --->
> >         Intel I810: Y or M
> >         Intel 8xx/9xx/G3x/G4x/HD Graphics: Y or M
> >            Enable modesetting on intel by default: Y
> >
> > Device Drivers --->
> >  Graphics support --->
> >   Direct Rendering Manager --->
> >    Intel I810: Y or M
> >    Intel 8xx/9xx/G3x/G4x/HD Graphics: Y or M
> >    Enable modesetting on intel by default: Y
> >
> > It's a minor point, but inclusion seems more accurate and consistent.
> > VMware lists "Direct Rendering Manager --->" but
> > ​ <snip>​
> >
> > ​
> Hi Guy,
>
> Copied from my NON-VMware 3.17.2, I have
>
> Graphics support  --->
> Direct Rendering Manager  --->
> <M> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)  --->
> <M> Intel I810
> <M> Intel 8xx/9xx/G3x/G4x/HD Graphics
> [*]   Enable modesetting on intel by default
>

> Legend
>
> --->  Take that branch
> <M> - Either M or nothing at all (i.e., no Y as alternative)
> [*] - Either Y or nothing at all (i.e., no M as alternative)
>
> Cheers,
> -- Alex

 Probably, one of your other config symbols is a module and prevents
you selecting 'Y' for those deps.  Unless you are using menuconfig
_frequently_ to try changes to your config, it can be a little
confusing.  Well, _I_ was confused when I was reconfiguring my
kernel to try kvm/qemu a couple of weeks ago.

 Basically, find the name of the option, then search for it with
'/'.  I think we all understand that part, but making sense of
dependencies which prevent it being selected (or turned off, or made
a module) means understanding all the "depends on" output.  If you
can only make it a module, I would look at any =m in the "depends
on" output.

 In my case, I needed to enable KVM options and misunderstood what
the deps were telling me.  In that case, the solution was to enable
High Res Timers.  Doing that let me enable the required KVM options.

ĸen