I saw that xorg-server-1.17.0 has now been released, so I dropped
that into my current qemu desktop build (I had been going to test
1.16.99.902 but had only done that on the real hardware).  I'm using
the modesetting driver, which is why I was keen to test this (it is
now part of hte server).

 Seems to work ok, but in the log I found these lines:
(II) glamor: EGL version 1.4 (DRI2):
EGL_MESA_drm_image required.
(EE) modeset(0): glamor initialization failed

 I'm lost!  Google finds lots of links to the original proposal for
this (from 2010, I think - it is apparently an X extension), but I
could not find anything telling me where it comes from (Mesa, I
suppose), nor how to enable it.  Any clues, please ?

ĸen