On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 04:17:22PM -0500, Michael Shell wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 02:21:59 +0000
> Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > If I then add '-display sdl' it complains that it could not
> > read keymap file en_GB
>

> I would change the other parameters (keymap, etc.) to whatever would
> allow (not error on) -display sdl with -show-cursor just to be sure to
> rule that cause out. I would also try changing any other parameters
> I could just to see if they have any effect on the problem, such as
> removing -usbdevice table or trying -usbdevice mouse.
>

>   Cheers,
>
>   Mike

 Mike - thanks for those comments.  I would be reluctant to run it
without the tablet setting (I had to when I was playing with my TeX
scripts in FreeBSD, and it was really awkward), but in fact there is
now no need.  Before I read your mail I had tried moving all the
tablet parameters to the end of my script, only to get the same error
about the keymap (I had started by wondering if a parameter was
being swallowed, causing things to get out of kilter, because I had
seen that while I was ironing-out my script).

 That setting had been there since I started using qemu, but to be
honest it was not giving me a lot - in distro iso files I got
whatever they supplied, and I always adjusted installed systems to
use a suitable keymap.  So the keymap error looks to be new when
running the 3.19 kernel (previous attempts were in 3.19-rc6 or
3.19-rc7) and I installed 3.19.0 before yesterday's testing.  Looks
like a kernel change, but I hesitate to describe it as a regression
because it never really did anything useful for me.

 And with the full addition including -display sdl, I've got my
mouse cursor back. ;-)  Thanks again, I don't know why those options
have suddenly become required (some of the links were quite old),
maybe it is another change rather than Xorg.  [ /me looks at git
blame for my qemu version : that changed to 2.2.0 in January.  And I
suppose that my other qemu tests in this build were only for server
packages. ]

 The joys of testing when multiple components have changed ;-)

 Cheers.

ĸen