This is relevant to blfs 7.8
First, I am installing my xorg and desktop into /opt. So I created the xorg.sh under profile.d as per the BLFS book instructions. I also made a desktop.sh file in there. I can paste it in here if necessary, but it's basically the same as xorg.sh, adding /opt/usr, /opt/usr/include and so on to the *path* variables. I found that packages were complaining bitterly without that. My desktop of choice is XFCE. So I skipped down to that chapter and got to work. Incidentally, one of the first packages--I think it was Xfconf-4.12--? complained that it was missing perl bindings. Should I worry about that? One of the dependencies was gtk So I got to the gdk-pixbuf-2.31.7 section.
./configure -q --prefix=/opt/usr --with-x11
configure: error: Package requirements (x11 gobject-2.0) were not met:

No package 'x11' found
A search produced the fact that x11 gobject-2.0 is part of the glib package. Should I install glib into my /opt hierarchy? I already have it in my /usr path because things like irssi require it. Will having it twice on the same system produce conflicts?