Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 6:16 PM

From: "Ken Moffat" <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com>
To: "BLFS Support List" <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
Subject: Re: [blfs-support] Plasma starts with black screen
On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 06:04:56PM +0200, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
> 28, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Cliff, please can you fix your mailer again when you send to this
list - html is HARD to read in mutt ;-)

> &gt; &gt; I still get the same black screen and movable cursor and a warning
> about &quot;All<br/>
> &gt; shell packages missing&quot;. The short error file is attached, but it
> seems to<br/>
> &gt; contain the same &#39;errors&#39; as before.<br/>
> &gt; &gt;<br/>
> &gt; &gt; What I have got is a fully functional Xorg where I can run konsole
> in xterm.<br/>
> &gt; &gt;<br/>
> &gt; &gt; If I then start plasmashell from xterm I get:<br/>
> &gt; &gt;<br/>
> &gt; &gt; org.kde.kwindowsystem: Could not find any platform plugin<br/>
> &gt; &gt; org.kde.kwindowsystem: Could not find any platform plugin<br/>
> &gt; &gt; Service started, version: 7.0.0<br/>
> &gt; &gt; Failed to load the OSD QML file file from &quot;&quot;<br/>
> &gt; &gt; detected kglobalaccel restarting, re-registering all shortcut
> keys<br/>
> &gt; &gt; We have no shell handlers installed.<br/>
> &gt; &gt;<br/>

> subsequently plasma-nm(it won&#39;t install), would effect the starting of
> the plasma desktop?&nbsp;&nbsp; I have been doing this from the start as I
> don&#39;t use NM.</div>

>Yes, very much so. NetworkManager is a build dependency, even for
>those of us who have a wired interface and don't need it. Omitting
>NM and therefore omitting plasma-nm sounds like the sort of thing
>that will have unexpected results.

>But also, I would like to mention what fixed my failure to get a
>working plasma. Possibly not relevant to you, but debugging plasma
>is painful so I'll mention it again.

>On 23rd August Michael Shell suggested in
>http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/2016-August/078258.html
>to look at
>https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=91932[https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=91932]
> and in
>the [Compositing] section of my .kde/share/config/kwinrc I had

>Enabled=true

>Changing that to Enabled=false fixed things for me (on an Intel
>Haswell i7 with embedded graphics).

Thanks for that Ken, will try it, but me thinks it goes a bit deeper.   Sorry
about the html text, again, this mailer defaults to it.

Will certainly build NM fully now and try that approach.  I use Connman by the
way, much easier.

Cliff