Craig Jackson wrote:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable-systemd/x/webkitgtk.html

On stable systemd 7.10, I see this sed being applied:
   sed -e 's/“/\"/' -e 's/”/\"/' \
       -i Source/WebCore/xml/XMLViewer.{css,js}

Which returns:
   sed: -e expression #2, char 0: no previous regular expression

When I look at the files it is targeting, I don't see any double-quotes.
Is this sed needed?  webkitgtk-2.12.4 with everything except MathML
compiles just fine on x86_64 this sed.

The copyright statement has non-ascii "smart-quotes" as comments at the beginning of the files that have caused problems in the past. The sed changes them to ascii double-quote characters.

Note that the backslashes in the sed expressions are not strictly needed, but are useful for clarification.

works, but is visually appears to not change anything, depending on the font being used.

  -- Bruce