On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Chris Staub <ch...@beaker67.com> wrote:
> On 09/17/2016 02:54 AM, Craig Jackson wrote:
>>
>> I understand a catchall, but it actually errors out as written in the
>> book since the commands are chained with &&, and without instructions on
>> the nuances of including the sed (or not), or skipping that command.
>> Just want to make sure since this doesn't seem like the behavior you
>> would want.
>>
>> My initial thought was some dependency missed, but it actually does find
>> those files, it just doesn't find the expression so errors out non-zero.
>

> Just an FYI - the command in the book works fine for me, without giving any
> errors. Perhaps there's a problem with however you're copying the command -
> are you copying-and-pasting it from a pdf of the book?
>
> --

Sorry for the top post, I know better, but my email client didn't.  It
does now. :)

Sorry if there is some user error.  I am copy and pasting using X.org
copy/paste facilities (select to copy, middle-click to paste).  I have
a binary chrome browser installed to make the build more pleasant with
only twm as a window manager, and am building Gnome deps with xterm.

Copied text from rendered page shows up in terminal as:
  sed -e 's//\"/' -e 's//\"/' \
>     -i Source/WebCore/xml/XMLViewer.{css,js}
From the raw page source, the XML element contains:
sed -e 's/&ldquo;/\"/' -e 's/&rdquo;/\"/' \
-i Source/WebCore/xml/XMLViewer.{css,js}

Perhaps &ldquo; and &rdquo; are too fancy for chrome to get into this
type of copy/paste cleanly?

I made a sample html file to test this theory:
---- BEGIN test.html ----
<head>
<title>Test quotes</title>
</head>
This is an ldquo;: &ldquo;<br>
This is an rdquo;: &rdquo;<br>
This is a quot;: &quot;<br>
---- END test.html ----

After rendering in chrome, the output into the text editor run in xterm:
This is an ldquo;:
This is an rdquo;:
This is a quot;: "

Sure enough, somewhere in the clipboard operation the first two
"quotes" were ignored, while the third was handled.

I assume I would not have similar problems in lynx, but this is blfs
so lots of folks are probably running X already by this point.

Is there a pressing need for the left and right quote flavors?  Is
this a natural byproduct of the normal book rendering methodology, or
some rendering framework?

Craig Jackson
craigmjack...@gmail.com
253-459-5384 cell
Craig Jackson
craigmjack...@gmail.com
253-459-5384 cell

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Chris Staub <ch...@beaker67.com> wrote:
> On 09/17/2016 02:54 AM, Craig Jackson wrote:
>>
>> I understand a catchall, but it actually errors out as written in the
>> book since the commands are chained with &&, and without instructions on
>> the nuances of including the sed (or not), or skipping that command.
>> Just want to make sure since this doesn't seem like the behavior you
>> would want.
>>
>> My initial thought was some dependency missed, but it actually does find
>> those files, it just doesn't find the expression so errors out non-zero.
>

> Just an FYI - the command in the book works fine for me, without giving any
> errors. Perhaps there's a problem with however you're copying the command -
> are you copying-and-pasting it from a pdf of the book?
> --
Craig Jackson
craigmjack...@gmail.com
253-459-5384 cell