Ken Moffat wrote:
On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 01:31:14AM -0700, Craig Jackson wrote:
On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Chris Staub <ch...@beaker67.com> wrote:
On 09/17/2016 02:54 AM, Craig Jackson wrote:

I understand a catchall, but it actually errors out as written in the
book since the commands are chained with &&, and without instructions on
the nuances of including the sed (or not), or skipping that command.
Just want to make sure since this doesn't seem like the behavior you
would want.

My initial thought was some dependency missed, but it actually does find
those files, it just doesn't find the expression so errors out non-zero.

That seems odd - I don't recall sed ever returning non-zero if a
change is not maade, only if the file doesn't exist.

A quick test on a local file, trying to change a word which is not
present, returns 0.

But now, a comment for anybody using just a console: "smart" quotes
in a sed may be evil!  My own console fonts, and some others, prefer
to NOT show a symbol for "this glyph is missing or invalid unicode"
(just before the closing parenthesis should be a highlighted
question-mark, U+FFFD, but it might just be a box, or a space �)
and the normal way to cope with the infernal smart quotes is to show
them as regular quotes.

It's a bit late now, but I would have preferred it if the
explanation mentioned smart quotes.

Sorry for the top post, I know better, but my email client didn't.  It
does now. :)

Sorry if there is some user error.  I am copy and pasting using X.org
copy/paste facilities (select to copy, middle-click to paste).  I have
a binary chrome browser installed to make the build more pleasant with
only twm as a window manager, and am building Gnome deps with xterm.

Copied text from rendered page shows up in terminal as:
   sed -e 's//\"/' -e 's//\"/' \
     -i Source/WebCore/xml/XMLViewer.{css,js}
 From the raw page source, the XML element contains:
sed -e 's/&ldquo;/\"/' -e 's/&rdquo;/\"/' \
-i Source/WebCore/xml/XMLViewer.{css,js}

Perhaps &ldquo; and &rdquo; are too fancy for chrome to get into this
type of copy/paste cleanly?

In Xorg, I would expect the smart quotes to be available, but I
build with a decent set of TTF and OTF fonts, and not using xterm or
twm (nor luit) so I don't know for certain.

I made a sample html file to test this theory:
---- BEGIN test.html ----
<head>
<title>Test quotes</title>
</head>
This is an ldquo;: &ldquo;<br>
This is an rdquo;: &rdquo;<br>
This is a quot;: &quot;<br>
---- END test.html ----

After rendering in chrome, the output into the text editor run in xterm:
This is an ldquo;:
This is an rdquo;:
This is a quot;: "

Sure enough, somewhere in the clipboard operation the first two
"quotes" were ignored, while the third was handled.

I assume I would not have similar problems in lynx, but this is blfs
so lots of folks are probably running X already by this point.

Is there a pressing need for the left and right quote flavors?  Is
this a natural byproduct of the normal book rendering methodology, or
some rendering framework?

The left and right double quotes *are* the so-called smart quotes,
also known as '66' and '99' quotes, and they need to be changed to
regular ASCII '"'.

I'll go ahead and fix the sed with \x?? characters and do a better explanation in the Command Explanations section.

  -- Bruce