For the lcdfilter, try lcdlight or lcdnone in place of lcddefault and see
what happens.

Please do let us know if you learn anything in this regard because
in the future others will probably run into the same problem.

    Cheers,

    Mike Shell
I admire your dedication to this and your concern to help those in the future. My abilities are perhaps somewhat limited, but this is what I've found.

lcdfilter - Changing lcdfilter to lcdlight or lcdnone had no effect.

antialias - Changing the antialias setting from 'true' to 'false' helped significantly. The fonts are just a touch 'blotchy' but the bold problem is eliminated. However, if I change /etc/fonts/local.conf to include only an antialias setting the fonts are acceptable.

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>

<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>

<match target="font">
  <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
   <bool>false</bool>
  </edit>
</match>

</fontconfig

My guess is my preference in fonts is less sophisticated than most, but I do like things simple. It's good to know that if the next version of fontconfig again gives me excessive bold I can fix the problem with a simple /etc/fonts/local.conf. I'll probably run with the old fontconfig and see what happens with the next release. If there's something further you'd like me to test I'd be happy to do so.