On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:19:55AM +1100, Samuel Tyler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I am planning ahead in BLFS, and I was wondering what you guys do when you
> install programs like X and LibreOffice. Could you please do this survey:
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TFTNZ25, and respond when you have submitted
> so I know how to check.
> Samuel

The survey was not as bad as it looked (damning with faint praise,
but I've seen a lot of surveys where all repondents had to answer
each question - this did not fall into that hole), but you still
probably omit people who build post-LFS in /usr/local - not that I
would recommend that choice, /usr/local is used before /usr in
traditional (non-cmake) packages.

I don't personally think that knowing 'a of c respondents built foo
in /usr, b of c built it in /opt' is particularly useful in itself -
what matters is why people made their choice.  But I did record my
own choices : Xorg in /usr (anything else just feels wrong, and
although I had a couple of issues when upgrading almost-everything
on gcc-4.9/linux-3-headers systems earlier this month - see the
archives - it was still do-able [ and if it wasn't, I would probably
have dropped those old systems! ].  For qt and kf5 I now use /opt -
partly because their usage of static libs is offensive to me -and I
loathe both of them, but I have to use qt for a couple of
applications (vlc and qupzilla).  With /opt I can/must ensure $PATH
and other variables are correct.

For LO, it is *years* since I updated that on a system, so building
it in /usr is not a problem for me.

But the strangest thing was the questions about install-tl-unx and
texlive, as if they were different, and as if we supported
installation in /usr.  As an editor, I install both (at different
times, and particularly for testing the annual new versions which
are all binary until the release) - if I hadn't been told that our
source build (at that time, we started from the binary!) left
not-from-source asy, biber, xindy, I wouldn't have ever touched
texlive (but now that I have the main parts working, I think xelatex
is good - yes, I like TTF or OTF fonts ;).

So, I hope the survey results are useful to you.

And my general advice is: the first time, build LFS manually, and
then build those parts of BLFS you think may be useful to you.  And
at some point move to using scripts - just ensure that you understand
how your own scripts fail, and try to log what got installed so that
you can associate programs and files with packages.  Scripts are also
useful for maintaining your current system - I usually only upgrade
for vulnerabilities, but I always upgrade firefox major versions and
at that point I use current nss, nspr, sqlite3, ca-certs plus
anything else that needs to be updated.  Python2 and icu have needed
to be updated in the past - updating either version of Python is
almost as bad as updating perl : you need to make sure you rebuild
everything which installed a module before you remove the old

My own builds are mostly lucky to last 6 months of active use - I
generally build a new system to test the next LFS/BLFS release, and
some short-lived systems using svn in the intermediate period.  I
will apply vulnerability fixes until the next LFS release, and I keep
(at least) one version of each release for so long as I can maintain
it: mostly those are for helping with support queries, but I need at
least two systems on each machine so that I can boot the old one if
I need to reinstall the *whole* current system from a backup.

My current view is that it is still normally possibly to fix
vulnerabilities on a desktop for a year (2 releases), after that
things become increasingly problematic (the openssl version might
fall out of support, a vulnerability fix for glibc might not be easy
to backport to an old version, "our" old gcc versions might have
problems (gcc-4.9.2 can now not build firefox), etc, etc.  That is
very different from what binary distributions can do.

For the second and subsequent builds, decide if your choices
(including prefix, applications, dependencies) worked for you - and
if not, change them and try again.

Much of the above is tangential to your immediate needs, but you
have shown interest in editing so I figured I would mention it - and
I hope this hasn't discouraged you.

for them.'     -- Small Gods