On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 12:39:26 -0500
rhubarbpie...@gmail.com wrote:

> However, the gist of the post was correct.

Yep, for the record in case someone ever runs into this, at least on
your system, freetype will yield a lighter font iff: (1) hintfull
is being used *and* (2) version 35 of the freetype truetype
interpreter is being used. And, of course, what fontconfig uses
by default varies by version.

With recent versions of freetype, we can now control which version of
the truetype interpreter freetype uses via an environment variable:

FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35 cff:no-stem-darkening=1
autofitter:warping=1"

We can see what hinting settings are in effect via:

fc-match '' hinting hintstyle autohint

hintstyle 0=hintnone, 1=hintslight, 2=hintmedium, 3=hintfull

I for one would like to be able to tune the heaviness of the
rendered fonts. As I understand it, the "Infinality" patches
allow for such control:

export INFINALITY_FT_GAMMA_CORRECTION="0 100"
export INFINALITY_FT_BRIGHTNESS="0"
export INFINALITY_FT_CONTRAST="0"

However, these Infinality features have not yet made it into
fontconfig/freetype mainstream yet.

  Cheers,

  Mike