On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 11:05:34AM -0400, Michael Shell wrote:

> In older machines of limited RAM, it might be helpful to provide
> swap via a SSD drive, but I have not tested this so I don't know
> what kind of performance increase can be expected from doing so.
> Expect a WebkitGTK+ compilation time ranging from 12-48 hrs on
> such old machines using a standard HD based swap.
>

>   Cheers,
>
>   Mike

Missed this part, so only replying now: I assume a pIII only has the
old IDE connectors (40 or 80 pin cable) - SSDs are SATA (or M2 or
whatever) and might require newer SATA : one of my boxes had a VIA
(I think) chip which could do SATA1 but could not do the negotiation
for faster speeds - and failed to recognize SSDs because of that.

Using machines which are even 5 years old, but only consumer
quality, is already painful if building current packages from source
using recent gcc.  I really don't think it's worth the effort of
using older machines unless they are high-end (e.g. 8 threads,
fast-ish memory).

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.