Hallo,

I'm using jhalfs 2.4 to compile select portions of the book, and it
fails for me when working on openldap.

The installation is missing the slapd config files .conf and .ldif.
So the Makefile aborts on the section where it tries to chown these files.

chmod   -v    640     /etc/openldap/slapd.{conf,ldif}   &&
chown   -v  root:ldap /etc/openldap/slapd.{conf,ldif}   &&

Files exist in /etc/openldap but with .default extension. Renaming them
makes slapd startable and the ldapsearch works then.

Contrary to the book I suggest to configure with --enable-debug. This
makes debugging startup problems so much easier. With debugging disabled
it simply states "config test failed" for slapd -T test. When debugging
is possible (-d 255) it gives lots of hints what went wrong.

Tschau...Thomas
--
"Do you wanna be a legend or a passing footprint on the sands of time?"