Am Samstag, den 01.09.2018, 00:34 +0100 schrieb Ken Moffat via blfs-
support:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:52:42PM +0200, Thomas Trepl via blfs-
> support wrote:
> >
> > More generally spoken, the DESTDIR-method is pretty fine as long as
> > you
> > take in account that sometimes the sequence of the instructions
> > needs
> > to be changed. I assume you do DESTDIR to provide binary packages
> > for
> > other machines than the building machine - which is IMHO the only
> > reason DESTDIR makes sense.
>
> Not at all: it lets you see exactly what is going to be installed.
> e.g. When building a new package, or new version:
>
> Does a package really need --disable-static, or are no static libs
> installed ?
>
> How much space does the install take ?

Totally agree from an editor's point of view. My scripts do report
those data automatically - its exactly this method where they get the
data from.

> Of course, not all packages support DESTDIR, some Python modules and
> Qt packages need a different magic word.  Also one or two others,
> and sometmes you still need to be root to run it.
>
> Some editors document these things in the xml, which is only handy
> when you come to make the edit : by that point I (hope to) know what
> I'm going to put in the book.  When I remember, I usually put these
> things in the wiki.  For Python modules using setup.py, --root
> /some/dir usually works.
It would be great if the book could show a little marker, a little
green button or so, at the wiki-link if there is really a page
existing. I think this could help to get the wiki more in mind but it
would mean to access tracs database while rendering the book. Don't
know if xsltproc supports calling external functions.

--
Thomas