On 09/10/2018 01:56 PM, Thomas Trepl via blfs-support wrote:
Am Montag, den 10.09.2018, 19:12 +0200 schrieb Thomas Trepl via blfs-
support:
Am Montag, den 10.09.2018, 09:41 -0400 schrieb Jean-Marc Pigeon via
blfs-support:
Hello,

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/php.html
Version 2018-09-08
Here is a list of directories which I think are
unexpected after a "make install".

     /.channels/.alias/pear.txt
     /.channels/.alias/pecl.txt
     /.channels/.alias/phpdocs.txt
     /.channels/__uri.reg
     /.channels/doc.php.net.reg
     /.channels/pear.php.net.reg
     /.channels/pecl.php.net.reg
     /.depdb
     /.depdblock
     /.filemap
     /.lock
     /usr/lib/php/.channels/.alias/pear.txt
     /usr/lib/php/.channels/.alias/pecl.txt
     /usr/lib/php/.channels/.alias/phpdocs.txt
     /usr/lib/php/.channels/__uri.reg
     /usr/lib/php/.channels/doc.php.net.reg
     /usr/lib/php/.channels/pear.php.net.reg
     /usr/lib/php/.channels/pecl.php.net.reg
     /usr/lib/php/.filemap
     /usr/lib/php/.lock
     /usr/lib/php/.registry/archive_tar.reg
     /usr/lib/php/.registry/console_getopt.reg
     /usr/lib/php/.registry/pear.reg
     /usr/lib/php/.registry/structures_graph.reg
     /usr/lib/php/.registry/xml_util.reg

Installing something at root level '/' is rather strange.

It is the first time I compiled PHP within LFS (LFS-8.3) so
I can not say if LFS-8.2+PHP have those file too.

Could other BLFS users confirm have those php directories/files?
Can we delete those files without problem? (my guess: yes).
Do we need to adjust the configure options list in book?

Indeed, strange thing - the files and the fact that I've not seen
them
while updating.

Let's have a look where those files come from and if we can configure
them away.

Looks like adding "--without-pear" does the trick but what else does
that switch imply?

--
Thomas

So you confirm strange file occurrence, good.
We must have overlooked something within configure option OR
dependencies.

My guess, PEAR seems to be mandatory to do serious PHP
work.

According:
https://pear.php.net/manual/en/about.pear.php

 What is PEAR?

PEAR is short for "PHP Extension and Application Repository" and is pronounced just like the fruit. The purpose of PEAR is to provide:

    A structured library of open-source code for PHP users
    A system for code distribution and package maintenance
    A standard style for code written in PHP, specified here
    The PHP Extension Community Library (PECL), see more below
A web site, mailing lists and download mirrors to support the PHP/PEAR community

--

A bientôt
Jean-Marc Pigeon                        E-Mail: j...@safe.ca